Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sooo...

Apparently, it's going to take a little more motivation to get myself to write everyday. I often think of things to post, but then just don't bother. I will work on this.

It has been snowing for the last 9 hours and doesn't seem like it will stop anytime soon. We are expected to get between 4 and 6 inches. I'm not sure how many we already have, but it is pretty to watch. Not so pretty to stumble through, though. I had to go to Pilates this morning. Luckily, I don't live far from the Metro and the Pilates studio isn't too far from the Dupont Metro. Still felt like forever though. I can deal with snow ok, but it is also super cold. I was very happy to make it back to my very warm apartment. I haven't been back out. I may run to CVS (hopefully it's open), but luckily, I have a lot of toilet paper and soy/almond/rice milk to tide me over. Ha. I did see several people carrying plastic CVS bags with toilet paper earlier today. Totally fit the stereotype of how DC residents react to snow. It was also the most plastic bags I've seen since the District implemented the 5 cent bag fee. Wonder if people were doing unplanned shopping or if it's normal for a Saturday. On a side note about the bag fee, I never thought saving a nickel would motivate me to do just about anything, but I have been much better about bringing my own bags since it went into effect. I was usually good before, but I often got sucked into the grocery store between the Metro and my apartment and rarely had bags with me. Now, I carry my grocery bags to work if I plan on shopping after, or I usually have an extra plastic bag from my lunch to reuse if I have to pick-up a couple things. I think I'm more motivated by the signal sent by the bag fee (plastic bags are bad for the river), than by the actual bag fee.

Anyway, I have been productive today. I did some dishes, but I have spent most of the day sorting through my clothes and packing up clothes to take to Goodwill tomorrow. I cannot believe how much clothing I have. I don't even know how I accumulated that much stuff. I got rid of almost everything when I lost weight, so that means most of the clothes have appeared in the last 3 years- not counting most of my Betsey Johnson dresses. I've never been able to get rid of those. But I think I am going to try to sell a couple of them on eBay. One I wore for my college graduation dinner and is way too big for me. I had originally planned to have it altered, but I realize that I do not know when I would wear a multi-colored pastel party dress. Another dress I wore to my high school band banquet senior year. It is tight and tiny, and I'm not sure how I ever fit in it. Even when I get to my goal weight, I do not think it would work for me. If they don't sell, then I'll donate them, but they were expensive dresses and worn once each, so I figure it's worth trying to make a few dollars. Maybe I'll donate the money.

I need to get back to putting away the clothes I want to keep- which is still an insanely high pile of stuff- but I'm a little unmotivated. Perhaps now is the time to run to CVS. I will get the clothes put away before I make my big salad, have a glass of wine, and watch Arrested Development or some sort of movie. Lovely Saturday night.

2 comments:

  1. I hope the snow storm is okay! I'm totally with you on the clothes - I have (don't repeat this) 6 suitcases of clothes in my mom's house! I desperately need to go through them and get rid of things when I move back Stateside. It's amazing how things add up. I think you're totally right to try and resell those dresses. Why not put the money towards something you care about? Like maybe those pinup photos? Or an extra loan payment for your school loans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing about the suitcases. I feel a little better now. I have two boxes and a big trash bag worth of clothes and a small box of shoes to take to Goodwill tomorrow, and I still have a shitload of stuff. Hhmm..putting the money to the pin-up pictures is perfect. All part of rewarding myself, which I am very good at. Haha.

    ReplyDelete