Saturday, January 9, 2010

Apparently, I won't starve when left to my own devices.

At this moment, I am eating a spinach salad right out of a big salad bowl. Transferring it to a more appropriate bowl just seemed silly. Plus, I am hungry. (I'd also like to point out that I even made the dressing, including toasting the sesame seeds. Who am I?)

This salad marks the 12th straight meal that I have made (and I mean made, not frozen meals) at home- though my Pilates instructor didn't accept the celery and peanut butter I had for dinner last night as a meal. He's right though, it was just supposed to be a snack, but I fell asleep before I got around to wanting dinner. Either way, this is likely a record for me. I used to eat out a lot. Not being able to cook was kind of part of my shtick, like being messy or always late. Things I was never super proud of, but because they just seemed destined to be a part of me, I decided to accept them rather than feel bad about it. The idea that I could change it never really seemed possible. It became my default, so to speak. However, I've really enjoyed cooking for myself. I'm pleasantly surprised by how good all the food is and needing to cut back recipes works my division skills. This morning I even made pancakes for the first time (yes, I'm 26). Not sure how I feel about the buckwheat flour, but it is fun trying new things.

I have felt much better since Tuesday's unpleasantness. Work was good, frustrating because of people who refuse to listen and/or learn before asking questions in very long meetings in rooms without windows, but still good. I felt productive, though a bit tired. I also made it on-time everyday. I even stayed late on Thursday, and Friday made it to the little fitness center in my office building. Working out after work makes it a lot easier to leave when it is dark. I think it's because then I don't feel like all I did that day was work. I also just really enjoy working out.

Ok. Well now that the eating is on a positive track- though still a day at a time venture (and honestly at times a meal at a time thing) , I am going to start on my plan of attack for my apartment. It's really all too exciting!

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO proud of you! You're keeping me on track, you know that? You're totally motivating me to keep going. :) I think you may need some iron or such if you're feeling a bit run down (but I'm no doctor, so don't listen to me!). Veganism isn't for everyone, healthy eating is though, so I think its about finding the right balance for your body. Like my vegan ass is never going to get into quinoa - its like eating rubber bands. I'm going to follow your lead and make a spinach salad today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Robin! I think you are right about the iron. I've also been on the almost anemic side so I need to do a better job of keeping track of my iron intake. I like treating the veganism as like a baseline for my eating and seeing what I need to build on top of it. It makes sure my foundation is full of greens and not meat.

    I still haven't tried the quinoa. Someone the other day was raving about it. I love how food can hit people so differently.

    Also, you totally motivate me, too! Hope your salad was great.

    ReplyDelete