Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pin-Up Girl

(Note: Upon completing this post I realized that I used the words wicked, awesome, and rad in a matter of 3 paragraphs. You've been warned.)

I love pin-up pictures, especially ones that feature women that do not fit the traditional definition of beauty (tattoos, dreads, hips), so when I stumbled upon Atomic Cheesecake Studios, I was wicked excited. She is based in Baltimore (not too far away from DC) and takes awesome pictures, and all the packages include hair, make-up, and outfits. I've been thinking about doing it since the moment I came across the website (circa May 2008), but have put it off for a variety of reasons, mostly related to my weight. I figure if I'm going to spend the money on cool professional photographs I should look my best. Also, I wanted a few more tattoos for the photo.

I don't know what reminded me of the pictures today, but whatever it was gave me an excellent idea/goal: getting the pictures done will be my birthday (May 18) present to myself. (I may not be great at taking care of myself, but I do always get myself birthday and Christmas gifts). Appointments are only during weekdays, and I was planning on taking the Monday before my birthday off anyway, so I think it is perfect timing. This gives me about 4 months to get to a point where I am comfortable and happy with my body. I believe that is completely do-able. I mean that's like 4 pounds a month if you break it down that way. And if the "experts" say you should only lose 1-2lbs a week, then it is perfect.

I think having this goal will definitely help me with my resolution. Having something to work towards always makes things easier- especially when it is something totally rad.

Plus, I'll have another tattoo (or 2) by then :)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea. It gives you a manageable target with a reward at the end! It's also nice to have a timeframe (I find at least) so that its not just "I'm losing weight/getting healthy" but more like "I want to look good in my vacation photos" or "I want to be able to climb Mt. Whatever on my trip" etc. I'm so proud of you (and I can't WAIT to see these photos!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I wish being healthy was a sufficient goal, but sometimes I need something a little more tangible to help to get to the long term goal of being healthy. Either way though, I'll benefit so it works.

    ReplyDelete